Thursday, February 5, 2015

Cricut Explore Tutorial - How To Make Sequins


Hello Again. I have  new tutorial for you today. If you have been checking out what is new in the crafting world, a couple companies have dies to make your own sequins. I love this idea and wanted to see if I could this my Explore. Guess what, I did and I am going to share with you.


I am using the following images: #M3ED3E circle, #M397AF Hexagon, and #M48E16 score line. 
Make sure to ungroup and delete all the extras.


You want the hexagon to be just slightly smaller than the circle. Use a real sequin as a guide. 
Center it inside the circle. There is no easy way to do this. What I did was clicked back and forth between the circle and the hexagon, paying attention to the cross hairs that show up. Once they looked like they were the same, I kept it.


I changed to pink because the first time I did it, that was the color they were and I saw the score lines better on that color. I really wish you could change the color of the score lines. Light grey dotted lines are very difficult to see.
You will need to add a score line to each of the point of the hexagon, 6 total. I started with one, sized it and rotated. Copied that and pasted. Placed on the opposite side. Pasted again and rotated to the next point. Did that til all 6 are placed.


Click on the hexagon under layers and change it to score. Remember to select all and attach. You are now done in Design Space. I cut them at .25 inches and .5 inches. That is the average sizes of sequins. You could make larger ones, but they didn't look great to me. 


Once you get the cut, there are a few steps to make the sequins to look like real sequins.
I am using a score / piercing tool from Close To My Heart. This is perfect for what I need, and it even comes with this foam mat shown. 
You need to make this cup to mimic a real sequin. (This is one from my first test. I didn't make the hexagon as big as I needed and it didn't turn out quite right. But it was large enough for pictures, so I am using it)


Using the embossing stylus and follow the hexagon shape.  It will naturally fold on the score lines. 


This is how it will look once that is done.  You will want to pierce the center. My cool tool has the piecing on the other end of the stylus. 


You can leave it as is, or for a more realistic sequin, I used clear embossing. Gives a sheen to it, making it less like paper. It was a little hard to get a picture of it. Once the embossing cools, give it a little pinch on the score lines to get it cupped again. 


 You can make shaped sequins. This will be a little different, since you won't be using a hexagon, just score lines.  Add s score line for each point in the shape.  Used image #M415EE star, #M30C16 heart and #M48E16 score line.


Heart has 3 points to it, so I added 3 score line to meet in the center.


The star has 5 points. I did 5 lines to meet in the center.  You want a cupped shape, not 3D. Try to make a triangle shape with the score lines. 




I hope you enjoyed this tutorial. I love the fact that I can make matching sequins for any projects. And a great way to use up those scraps.

Check out my {tutorial page} for all the tutorials I have.  And feel free to join my {Facebook page} for updates on new tutorials, artwork and specials.

Subscribe to my {Youtube Channel} for updates on new Create Your Card videos.



I offer one on one classes for Cricut Design Space. Stop by for more {details}.

I have used the following Close To My Heart products, you can order them at {nikkageers.ctmh.com}:

Pixie Cardstock X5773
Piercing & Embossing Tool Kit Z2046
Versamark Ink Pad Z891
Clear Embossing Powder Z2088
Craft Heater Z555

2 comments:

  1. Yes, thank you! I knew there had to be away. Figuring out how was the next thing on my to-do list. Thank you, you're amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, I've been looking for away to make my own sequins, in the colors I want. Thank you

    ReplyDelete